Tuesday, December 8, 2009

William UPDATE!!!

You'll have to read the post below if this is your first visit to our blog since his birth.

Matthew and I went to the hospital hoping to witness them putting breastmilk in the tube that goes down to his stomach and hopefully hear good news after an x-ray would be taken. By the time we got there, they already had results in from the x-ray and there was NO MORE air in his chest after the tube had been sealed for 8 hours. So, wow, they decided to remove it already! So soon, we had no idea it would ever come out so soon. We're crossing our fingers that it really is how it looks and his lungs have healed wherever that opening was... he's still on the CPAP, his lungs have some functioning to catch up on and clear up some haze (they call it lung disease, but that sounds way more serious to me).

I got to change his diaper, Matthew got to put the breastmilk down the tube, we got to witness them remove the tube from his lungs, I have a picture of it. See how it curls like a pig's tail? That part and some of the straight part were all in his chest, so uncomfortable!




He was so alert and awake, his eyes were open for SO LONG and he was looking around and trying to grab at the velcro of the CPAP and other cords... acting just like a real newborn with life back into the picture! I have a picture of him with his eyes open! I only had my cell phone with me, but this picture is worth a bazillion words.






Love you all!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations guys! He is so cute and looks like the boys. I can't wait to meet him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand NICU. My daughter was born by emergency c-section at 35 wks. The nurse doing my non-stress test was going to send me home on a Friday. My dad was there and requested the perinatologist look at it. My fluid level was below emergency levels. If they had sent me home, I would have lost her that weekend. She was also breached so she had to come c-section cuz there was no fluid to turn her in. She was in the hospital for 10 days so her lungs could develop more.
    My son was born after 26 hours of labor and lots of pushing. He was having a hard time breathing, so they took him to the NICU. They happened to do an x-ray where they discovered most of his abdominal organs were in his chest. He was life-flighted up to Primary Children's, had surgery at 2 days old, transfered down to Utah Valley after 2 wks, and then came home 2 wks after that. He is our little miracle baby. Things should have been a lot worse. Medicine has come so far. It is a blessing to have so much. Neither of my kids would be here if it wasn't for the great medical discoveries. Your little William seems like a fighter. Take care of yourself, too. Good luck, and keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute cute boy you have!! Im so glad he is doing so well!! What a cute cute name! I love that name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy and Matthew
    I was linked to your Blog by Elise, I hope that is okay. She told me about your story and was curious about it. I wanted to tell you that you have a beautiful family and that your family and son are in our prayers and we hope that he comes home soon. I also wanted to say that I have had a son in NICU so if you ever need to just vent or talk, I am willing to listen.
    Best of luck to you and your family..
    Cindi S.

    ReplyDelete