Friday, December 18, 2009

Two weeks feels like an Eternity.

Man, I've said it before and I'll say it again. You get updated so quickly with your baby in the NICU, there are lots of highs and lows - even within 1 day. Last night and this morning, he did SO WELL nursing.

He wasn't acting interested, but I felt he knew what he was doing. Matthew and I believed they weren't doing him right to fill his tummy up after every time I nursed him, because then he knew he'd get full no matter how much effort he put into it. A Lactation Specialist came by yesterday morning and saw my frustration that he was wide awake and wouldn't eat much. He ate 18 ML when his "full feeding" was set at 56 ml. I told her I didn't think he was hungry enough. She asked the DR to let us drop the feeding amount and he didn't believe it would work, but he said we could try it. BOOM, they dropped the amount to 45 and his nursing sessions shot up to 41 ml, then 53, then 45, then 18 (he was trying to poop the whole time - and was hungry AFTER time was up), then 58 ML!!! In your face people, he's a pro at nursing - he just needs to be hungry and not be pooping or hiccuping. (Hiccups were a problem earlier this week too.)

I've been allowed to do back-to-back feedings today, you do two in a row then break for two and back on for two in a row. We'll see how the next back-to-back goes... if well, then they'll let him feed "on demand" instead of every 3 hours and if he does well - we'll be going home! Want to know something sad? They took an X-ray this morning and it looks a bit hazy. The problem is, his lungs were never fully clear... I think he's never fully recovered yet, but the Dr is worried something might be creeping up. BUT, it's not serious at this point, it's unclear, so the Doctor is just watching him for now. PRAY his lungs clear up. I can't bear to win the nursing battle only to face an infection. I feel strongly that he's fine and getting better. His oxygen levels have been great while I've been there, but a nurse I don't like was claiming his oxygen saturation has dropped several times. I think it's the monitor... but, we'll find out tomorrow. Pray the monitors are reading accurately! lol Pray for everything. Overcompensation in this case is not a bad thing.

I want to bring my baby home! Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment